The Haunted House Dream

Haunted house dreams are very complex dreams and not always as easy to interpret as other dreams. They are actually two dreams in one, a house dream and a ghost dream. Either of these dreams are rather complex on their own and have many clues and symbols associated with the interpretation of their meaning. For this reason I will be presenting  this article in four parts. This, the introduction where we will discuss some psychological and spiritual thoughts, as well as things you should look for and remember about your dream. The house, different aspects and symbols and how they pertain to your dream. The Ghost that is haunting you in your dream, and finally I  will present a couple of examples along with a possible interpretation.

Psychological:

To dream of a haunted house, signifies unfinished emotional business, related to your childhood family or dead  relatives or repressed memories and feelings.

Spiritual:

Most haunted house dreams are typically recurring dreams and there are those that think that this could have  something to do with the dreamers surroundings or sleep environment and most recurrent dreams are relevant to the  unresolved issues of the person who is dreaming even though he may not presently know what the issue may be.

Dr. Daniel Condron (Director and Dream Researcher at the School of Metaphysics) believes the dream represents a  question or message (often related to a limitation, habit, fear or doubt) of the dreamer. And he thinks that the  dream will stop repeating once the dreamer understands the message and resolves to make the needed change.

Things to remember:

There are many clues and symbols in your dream that you should take careful note of. These clues and symbols will  give enormous insight to the true meaning of your dream.

The following is a list of some of these clues and symbols to remember about your dream.

The House:

• What type of house is it
  • Where is the house located
  • Do you recognize the house
  • Do you know where in the house you are
  • What type of furniture is in the room
  • Are you staying in one room or are you moving around the house

The Ghost:

• Do you know the ghost
  • Are you frightened by the ghost
  • Are you communicating with the ghost
  • Is the ghost chasing you through the house

Note being chased through the house by the ghost in your dream, adds new complexity to the interpretation of  the dream call chasing dreams but we will cover that dream type in a future article.

Check out these other fantastic dream sites:

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
6 Responses
  1. Louisa says:

I have a simi recurrent dream where I am at my childhood house and it is always haunted. I usually get there and am too afraid to go in. I think I remember actually being in the house in a dream only once but it was some time ago and I don’t remember the dreams detail.

I say the dreams are simi recurrent because the dream is always different but the details about the house are always the same.

The first time I was on the porch about to go in the house and the door popped open a little and I was afraid so didn’t go in. The next time I was coming up the stairs about to go inside and the door creaked open this time a little wider than before. Again I was too afraid to go in. Everytime I have this dream I am a kid again and am returning home from school I think. Each time the door opens up farther and farther all on its on and it happens when I’m farther back each time. The last time it opened half way as I got to the fence of the house to enter the yard.

The sky is always gloomy and really gray. I can’t see anyone in the house but I can feel the energy and its evil, dark, malevolent and I can feel it wants me. Its like its waiting for me but I’m too afraid because I don’t know why it wants me.

When we lived in that house at that time my mom said she experienced supernatural events. She had the house blessed numerous times and saw “demons”. she had a boyfriend at the time that was an alcoholic and physically abusive to her. My mom was abusive to me as well so I’m not sure if that ties into the dreams. My mom and I have a relationship now and she has apologized a number of times.
    Any insight would be appreciated thank you.

• Bobabgail says:

Hello , This Dream is actually very commen. Im a professional dream helper , i have a website where you can access other dreams similar to this. Anyway , this dream is commen . Usually when you are having dreams about going to your child hood home it means that you have something you need to fix or re-do . Like, your mother said to clean the attic .. & you never do then something bad happened such as her getting hurt by something to do with the attic. If possible, you should visit your child hood home and go around to every room try to bring back the memorys, and the time you last left it. That should give you some closure and this dream should leave when it provided its purpose of being there. I hoped that helped.

2. Tonya says:

Just last night I had a dream of my aunt connie’s old house. It was just the way it used to be before she moved around 2004. I always was fond of the house and its warm light that poured through the living room. it was homey and comfortable. ill always miss it. from time to time i even still have dreams of it but it isnt always ghost related. ( her house in real life was thought to be haunted but this never scared me. only made me think it was even cooler)
    The dream of this house began by my boyfriend and i driving by it noticing silouhettes in the windows, later appearing as ghosts. We decided to come back another time during the night and at this point of the dream i do not recall where he was but only knew he was with me and i was alone walking through the first floor of the house. feeling eerie, i started remembing the living room, the foyer, the kitchen and the dining room. in the dream i only walked through the foyer and then into living room when a ghost appeared in the foyer.
    The ghost was an adult female that gazed at herself in the mirror and looked out the windows of the house. she didnt want me there and screamed at me with shrieks that had no words. her hair stood on end and i left the house after being frieghtened. at this point i saw my boyfriend had driven off without me and i was left at the house scared. he forgot me and i was sure he was thinking of turning around to look for me. as he was looking for me i could not wait at the house and so i continued to walk on the sidewalk through the streets. I was welcomed in a home across the street where i found a family in thier basement arranging garlic on strings as necklaces to protect themselves against the ghosts across the street. i obtained one and went back to the house to find my boyfriends car parked outside. i thought he must have went to look for me in the house. concerned and scared he would get hurt.. i tried to enter but the female ghost at the foyer woukd not let me pass through the door and kept screaming at me.

this conclued the wierd dream of the haunted house my aunt used to own.

3. Lauren says:

The first house is an old victorian. I am standing in the backyard. It is dark outside. Suddenly I get the overwhelming feeling that something bad is about to happen. I run into the house and try to gather the 4 people living there. There are 2 sons and a mother and a father. They are dressed in really old clothing like the house. I have the feeling that they’ve been in the house for a very long time. I grab the boys and they bicker over shoes and tell them to go outside. I yell for the mother and father. The father says that there is something more he has to do. He runs up the stairs. I scream to everyone to get out the way, it’s coming. Suddenly a black cloud of evil whips through the house and I back up into the wall carefully trying to keep it from touching me. I wake up within the dream and I am sitting in my grandmother’s house now. I go to reach for a bottled water, but it’s too high. I go sit down across from her and I know she’s about to tell me to get a water for her, angrily, I reply, “I can’t reach it.” So my grandmother asks my uncle to go get the water. He comes back and hands me a bottle and it is really heavy. They each have bottles that are equally as heavy, but mine has been drunken out of. I get upset and when I confront my uncle, he offers to trade my water for his, but I reluctantly say that’s ok and finish the water. I look at the clock and it’s 5:30. I wake up.

4. Lauren says:

The first house is an old victorian. I do not know this house and it is decorated and feels like I was in the time period. I do not know this family.

I am standing in the backyard. It is dark outside. Suddenly I get the overwhelming feeling that something bad is about to happen. I run into the house and try to gather the 4 people living there. There are 2 sons and a mother and a father. They are dressed in really old clothing like the house. I have the feeling that they’ve been in the house for a very long time. I grab the boys and they bicker over shoes and tell them to go outside. I yell for the mother and father. The father says that there is something more he has to do. He runs up the stairs yelling room numbers if that makes any sense at all. I scream to everyone to get out the way, it’s coming. Suddenly a black cloud of evil whips through the house and I back up into the wall carefully trying to keep it from touching me because I fail to out run it.

5. Bobabgail says:

TRUE STORY: About two years ago maybe, i was about 1o or 11 & i was downstairs in my house sitting on my moms lap then all of a sudden our shredder turns on & our stereo a few rooms away turns on playing LOUD music. I was scared & i usually shared a room with my older sister but this time she was at a friends so i had to sleep alone. i was soooo scared . but about an hour later i really didnt think of the scary things that happened, so i went upstairs to my room where my doll house was & i played in there for a while, when all of a sudden a “deer trac” (a spring thing you put on the bottom of your snowboot to keep from sliding on ice) & the thing FLEW off of my sisters dresser and hit me. I was sooo scared. Then that night i went to bed and had a dream that the stereo turned on, the shredder shred (but the part when i was in my room didnt happen) & there was my childhood ‘Monster’ who im terrified of (the girl off of ‘The Ring’ movie) chased me through my living room and all over my house, then i was running & i went in an elevator (BIG fear, im closterphobic!) then i ran and when i tried getting away from the creepy girl there was A HUGE Pool , (again, another one of my fears, since i couldnt swim.) & there was no way around the pool so i jumped in and instantly began swimming .. then i woke up . & a few months after i had that dream, (in the summer) my enemie (this girl who hates me at school & is a bully) pushed me in the pool at a public place & i instanly could swim ! even though i couldnt before ! .. i dont know but i think that dream helped me overcome some fears . WHAT DOES THIS DREAM MEAN ? any clues, please commet! thanks!