Psychological Meaning: The shadowy ghosts of your dreams symbolize those aspects of yourself that you fear. But it is fear itself that makes them frightening. Expose these dark lurking images into the bright light of day and you will realize that it is only your own fear that makes them nightmares. You must understand that there are many, different energies that make up your psyche. Your dream also reflects your own fears about death and dying. Freud thought that ghosts are actually the visions of people who are afraid of death. In this sense, the ghost would not be real at all but rather a projection of our subconscious mind.
Mystical Meaning: In most cases ghosts are representations of the dark forces within ourselves that we have not acknowledged. However, many people have claimed to have really met the dead in their dreams. In some cases, the dream spirit gave evidence that proved them to be the real spirits of people from the other side, usually only spirits that care for you can communicate in this way.
Ghost dreams have always been considered frightening even nightmarish, but these days they are a pretty popular dream. Are there any ghost haunting your dreams? If so, what might they be symbolizing? To better understand their meaning we need to determine a few things about ore ghost.
First are your dreams a ghost or a visitation? Differentiating between “the ghost dreams” and dreams of a loved ones who have departed is important. Dreams of loved ones who has passed may carry very different feelings and meanings than the classic ghost dreams. Dreaming of someone who has died, may actually be ancestral visitation dreams rather than the ghost or hunting dreams.
If someone you love has recently passed that person might materialize in your dreams as a ghost. These types of dreams may bear a slightly different meaning than ancestral visitation dreams. They may symbolize mourning or unprocessed grief over the loss of that person. They can also symbolize guilty feelings in the relation to that person or unresolved issues, not having said goodbye, or even guilt over being angry that the person passed. On a more positive note, these dreams may also be visitations; the opportunity to conclude issues you wish you had taken care of before the person crossed.
Classic ghosts dreams are dreams that have a more haunting quality than dreams about those who have recently died or those loved ones who come to visit us while we sleep. These are dreams of the shadowy shape, person, or image that comes unbidden and leaves behind a feeling of uneasiness or even fear. Classic ghost dreams may fall into the ‘shadow’ category of dreams. (More information about the shadow is located at: Shadow.) As a shadow symbol ghosts may represent parts of ourselves we do not wish to look at–parts of ourselves that we don’t like or that actually scare us.
The Classic ghost dreams require a close look at the feelings and reactions the dreamer has to the ghost. If the feelings are fear based or if the ghost causes you to run away, the dream may symbolize an attempt to run away from or somehow combat some part of yourself. If, however, you find yourself talking to the ghost or embracing it in some way then the dream may indicate an acceptance or integration of some facet that was formerly denied.
Ghosts are associated with haunting and haunted places. They are also almost always symbols of the past. As such they may also symbolize some painful aspect of the past that has never been dealt with, yet still haunts the soul. Looking at other symbols in your dreams, such as its location, may provide clues as to what it is that hasn’t been processed. For example, if you find yourself in your old childhood home the dream may point to some trauma suffered in childhood.
Ghost dreams may are unnerving, but understanding the dreams helps one make peace with the past so the present can be lived.
The following are some common ghosts in dreams
- Dreams of a ghost of either one of your parents, denotes that you are exposed to danger, and you should be careful in forming partnerships with stranger.
- Dreams of the ghost of a dead friend, foretells that you will make a long journey with an unpleasant companion, and suffer disappointments.
- If the ghost is someone known to you who has passed on and who speaks to you in you dreams, listen. The message is important.
- To see an angel or a ghost appear in the sky in your dreams denotes the loss of kindred and misfortunes.
- Dreams of a female ghost on your right in the sky and a male on your left, both of pleasing countenance, signifies a quick rise from obscurity to fame, but the honor and position will be filled only for a short space, as death will be a visitor and will bear you off.
- Dreams of a female ghost in long, clinging robes floating calmly through the sky, indicates that you will make progression in scientific studies and acquire wealth almost miraculously, but there will be an under note of sadness in your life.
- Dreams that you see the ghost of a living relative or friend denotes that you are in danger of some friend’s malice, and you are warned to carefully keep your affairs under personal supervision. If the ghost appears to be haggard, it may be the intimation of the early death of that friend.
- If you are frightened by the ghost in your dreams, could mean that mistakes in your past have “come back to haunt you.” It could also mean that intense pressure to do something against your principles could be put upon you by someone in a position of authority.
Check out these other fantastic dream sites: